Channel Surfing is Too Many Men On The Site’s quick guide to tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoffs action, as well as any other interesting broadcasts in the world of hockey. Included is a list of the scheduled games, game notes, as well as a pregame warm up song.
Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Rangers 12:00 PM NBC [ Series: NYR 1-0 ]
Detroit Red Wings @ Boston Bruins 3:00 PM NBC [ Series: DET 1-0 ]
Tampa Bay Lightning @ Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM NBCSN [ Series: MTL 2-0 ]
Los Angeles Kings @ San Jose Sharks 10:00 PM NBCSN [ Series: SJ 1-0 ]
Last Night’s Results:
Chicago Blackhawks 3 St. Louis Blues 4 OT [ Series: St. Louis 2-0 ]
Columbus Blue Jackets 4 Pittsburgh Penguins 3 OT [ Series: Tied 1-1 ]
Minnesota Wild 2 Colorado 4 [ Series: Colorado 2-0 ]
- The Philadelphia Flyers were hoping to have Steven Mason back for Game 2, however he will remain out with an upper body injury. Ray Emery had a 4.00 GAA and a .889 SV% in Game 1, hardly the numbers that would have Flyers fans sleeping well at night. Game 1 was close up until the third period, so the 4-1 score looks a bit more lopsided than it truly was. It is expected that the New York Rangers will keep the same winning lineup from Game 1. [ NHL.com ]
- The key to today’s matchup for both the Boston Bruins and the Detroit Red Wings is offense. Both teams remained scoreless in the final minutes of regulation and neither goaltender had faced a substantial body of work. Pavel Datsyuk was the determining factor in Game 1, but if either of these teams hope to advance, they will need to generate more offense. The 1-0 Detroit win is the outlier in this first round of games that has seen several high scoring games. [ NHL.com ]
- Tampa Bay Lightning head coach Jon Cooper has elected to give Anders Lindback another shot in net, even though he was pulled in favor of Kaspers Gudlevskis during the third period of Game 2. The absence of Ben Bishop has proven to be critical for the Lightning. With the series headed to Montreal with the Canadiens up 2-0, Montreal will have to work to keep their emotions in check and keep the pressure on in the series. They have outshot the Lightning 70-52 so far. [ NHL.com ]
- The Los Angeles Kings will look to bounce back from a disappointing showing for Game 1 of their series with San Jose. The Kings were outworked, outscored, and beat at their own physical style of play by the San Jose Sharks in a 6-3 win. The Sharks scored five unanswered goals before LA scored 3 of their own. Those three goals should have taught the San Jose Sharks that they cannot let up the pressure in the third period in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. [ NHL.com ]
What We Learned:
- Another game and another thrilling overtime winner for the St. Louis Blues. Chicago may think there is plenty of series left to play, but eventually they need to get a win. So far the Blues have found ways to take advantage of Chicago mistakes and capitalize on them. In Game 2, it was the dirty hit on David Backes by Brent Seabrook in the closing minutes of the third period. Seabrook was ejected and will likely face supplemental discipline by the league. Valdimir Tarasenko tied the game up with 6 seconds remaining in regulation on the resulting power play.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets won their post season game in franchise history in a double overtime nail biter with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Matt Calvert scored the game winning goal to send the series back to Columbus tied 1-1.
TMMOTS Pregame Warm Up Song:
The Rolling Stones – “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking”