The Toronto Maple Leafs have some thinking to do. They need to figure out what to do with Captain Dion Phaneuf. There are reports coming out that say Phaneuf may be looking for a contract around $50 million over seven years. Is he worth it? I guess it depends on what you value in a player.
Some Dion Phaneuf Information
- Drafted ninth overall in 2003 by the Calgary Flames.
- During his first season Dion set a Flames record for most goals scored by a 1st year defenseman
- Calder Memorial Trophy Finalist 2005-2006
- 3 time All-Star
On January 31, 2010 Phaneuf was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Phaneuf is in the last year of a 6 year $39 Million contract, and is set to become a UFA at the end of the season. In 236 games (HockeyDB.com) as member of the Maple Leafs Phaneuf has managed only 117 points; not scoring more than 12 goals in any season, and not putting up more than 44 points. It seems that the Leafs may not have gotten what they had hoped for.
The Toronto Maple Leafs are currently at the NHL Salary Cap ($64.3 Million). Next year that cap number is expected to go up to $70 Million; if Phaneuf does get resigned his expected salary would be $7.1 Million a year. The Leafs would need to make some moves to fit that in.
Top Cap Hit Denseman
- Nashville’s Shea Weber (US$7.8-million)
- Minnesota’s Ryan Suter (US$7.5-million),
- Florida’s Brian Campbell (US$7.1-million),
- Los Angeles’ Drew Doughty (US$7-million)
- Boston’s Zdeno Chara (National Post)
Looking at that list do you think Phaneuf is worth the money? I asked one fan that question, and the answer was a BIG No!
What do you think?