Two heavily-penalized teams will meet soon as the Owen Sound Attack and the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds face each other in the first round of the OHL playoffs. The teams had a combined 2,282 penalty minutes in the regular season.
SERIES C: OWEN SOUND VS. SAULT STE. MARIE
• Series begins Thursday, March 21 at 7:00 p.m. in Owen Sound.
How the teams match up:
Owen Sound Attack (44-18-1-5, 94 points — 231 GF, 165 GA)
- Top Scorer: Daniel Catenacci (C), 38G, 41A, 79 points
- Right winger Cameron Brace is the only other Attack player to average over a point per game, as he scored 74 points (35-39) in 66 games this season.
- Chris Bigras led Attack defensemen with 38 points, while Catenacci led the team with 115 penalty minutes.
- Cody Ceci led the team with a total of 13 power play goals this season, including seven carried over from his time with Ottawa.
- Owen Sound ended the season with five consecutive wins, starting with a 9-1 win over the Erie Otters. The Attack followed this up with a 6-4 win over Erie the following day, then took a 6-0 decision over Windsor. They closed the regular season with a pair of wins over Sarnia, by scores of 4-3 and 4-2.
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (36-25-3-3, 78 points — 262 GF, 257 GA)
- Top Scorer: Nick Cousins (C), 27G, 76A, 103 points
- Cousins finished the season second overall in the OHL in points scoring, behind only Charles Sarault.
- Defenseman Ryan Sproul is one player to watch; he ended the regular season second on the team in points scoring, with 66 (20-46) and had an outstanding 11 power play goals.
- Right winger Andrew Fritsch is the only Greyhounds player to have tallied more goals on the man advantage this season. Rookie Sergey Tolchinsky had 51 points (26-25) in 62 games.
- The Greyhounds ended the season with two losses in their last three games and will look to rebuild after suffering an 8-0 loss to Plymouth on March 13. This was followed by a 6-4 win over Kitchener before the Greyhounds dropped a 6-2 decision to London on March 17.
The Season Series
Owen Sound won both of the meetings between the teams this season. They took a 7-5 win over the Greyhounds on November 10 in Owen Sound, then defeated Sault Ste. Marie by a score of 2-1 on December 1.
Game #1: SSM @ OS | Thu Mar 21 | 7:00 PM
Game #2: SSM @ OS | Sat Mar 23 | 7:30 PM
Game #3: OS @ SSM | Mon Mar 25 | 7:07 PM
Game #4: OS @ SSM | Wed Mar 27 | 7:07 PM
Game #5: SSM @ OS | Fri Mar 29 | 7:30 PM * if necessary
Game #6: OS @ SSM | Sun Mar 31 | 7:07 PM * if necessary
Game #7: SSM @ OS | Tue Apr 2 | 7:00 PM * if necessary